Teens with depression
The first thing to know is that teens with depression are common. On average, one in six people will experience depression in their lifetime and incidence of depression in teenagers appears to be increasing.
Teenagers with depression are not just feeling sad or angry or having the occasional bout of temper. A teen with depression faces an overwhelming sense of hopelessness and despair most or all of the time, and the teen’s own personality is affected by the depression.
Depression cannot be blamed on hormonal changes in puberty. While the exact cause of depression is unknown, varied factors such as genetics, environment, stress, chronic illness, use, or misuse of drugs, food additives and pain are thought to play a part in the onset of depression in a person.
What is depression?
Depression is a medical condition that affects both the mental and physical health and wellbeing of the teen. A teen diagnosed with clinical depression experiences sadness, loss of interest, or pleasure in nearly all activities, feelings of hopelessness, suicidal thoughts or self-blame. The teen will not be able to function properly as the depression interferes with the everyday living of the teen.
Clinical depression is also known as major depression, major depressive order and unipolar disorder.
Who gets depression?
Any teen may suffer from depression. In many cases, teens with depression have always been prone to anxiety or is an anxious person. Research has shown a correlation between depression, anxiety, and stress.
Teens with depression are at high risk of suicide and self-inflicted harm.
Teen Depression Guide: Click on the links below for further sections of this Teen Depression Guide.
- Chapter 1: Teens and Depression Overview
- Chapter 2: Symptoms of Depression in Teenagers
- Chapter 3: Teen Depression Checklist
- Chapter 4: Reasons for Depression in Teenagers
- Chapter 5: Warning Signs of Depression in Teenagers
- Chapter 6: Teenage Depression Treatment Options
- Chapter 7: Teen Depression Behavioral Therapy and Counseling
- Chapter 8: Home Remedies for Treatment of Teen Depression
- Chapter 9: Support for Depression and Preventing Teen Depression
- Chapter 10: Therapeutic Activities for Teenagers
- Chapter 11: Inspirational Quotes for Teenagers