Home remedies for teen depression treatment – alternatives and options
There are a few home remedies and complementary and alternative therapies that could help to reduce or manage symptoms of teen depression. These methods should always be used as part of a complete teen depression treatment plan and are not substitutes for anti-depressant medication or conventional therapy.
Home remedies for teen depression include stress management techniques, other mind-body connection techniques and acupuncture.
Stress management techniques
Stress management techniques for teen depression treatment include the following:
- Take time-outs, such as reading, going for walks and so on.
- Use part of lunch breaks as ‘quiet time’.
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol.
- Limit caffeine intake.
- Get enough sleep.
- Exercise daily, if the teen is not already playing a sport.
- Eat well balanced meals, including keeping healthy energy-boosting snacks at hand.
- Take deep breaths.
- Welcome humor.
- Do your best and be proud of your efforts.
- Learn what triggers your anxiety – write a journal and use one of the relaxation techniques listed on this page to manage anxiety.
Mind-body connection techniques can be done at home or through a complementary and alternative medicine practitioner. They include:
- Tai chi
- Massage therapy
- Guided imagery
- Music or art therapy
If the teen is willing, acupuncture may help manage stress and reduce symptoms of teen depression. Some studies have shown that acupuncture is just as effective as anti-depressants in treating depression.
Encourage the teen to:
- make and keep healthy relationships.
- stay active.
- ask for help.
- have realistic expectations
- make reasonable goals
- try to not have too many activities or going-ons in life
- simplify life by choosing obligations and commitments
- structure time.
- connect with other teens suffering from depression.
- stay healthy.
Teen Depression Guide: Click on the links bellow for further sections of this Teen Depression Guide.
- Chapter 1: Teens and Depression Overview
- Chapter 2: Symptoms of Depression in Teenagers
- Chapter 3: Teen Depression Checklist
- Chapter 4: Reasons for Depression in Teenagers
- Chapter 5: Warning Signs of Depression in Teenagers
- Chapter 6: Teenage Depression Treatment Options
- Chapter 7: Teen Depression Behavioral Therapy and Counseling
- Chapter 8: Home Remedies for Treatment of Teen Depression
- Chapter 9: Support for Depression and Preventing Teen Depression
- Chapter 10: Therapeutic Activities for Teenagers
- Chapter 11: Inspirational Quotes for Teenagers