Other teen depression treatment options
Family therapy, behavioral therapy, counseling and stress management programs are other teen depression treatment options which should be explored to help and support the teen. These treatment options can be used at the same time as prescribing anti-depressants for the teen in severe cases.
Family therapy is a form of psychotherapy that directly involves all family members in addition to the teen. In certain cases, it may be appropriate for family therapy to form part of the teen depression treatment plan as family relationships can have a tremendous (positive or negative) impact on a teen’s wellbeing.
Family therapy focuses on the interactions of the family members, especially the relational and communication processes of the family to resolve or reduce teen depression symptoms.
Cognitive behavioral therapy
Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is a form of therapy aimed at addressing negative thinking that prolongs depression in teens. CBT teaches the teen to become aware of, and to describe, his or her negative thoughts and feelings, and to substitute negativity with positive thoughts.
Individual psychotherapy is generally recommended as first line teen depression treatment for teens with mild to moderate depression. Psychotherapy is usually conducted by a trained mental health provider. Apart from psychotherapy by a mental health provider, school counselors may also be required to be involved if school events or incidents have exacerbated or caused stress in the teen.
Teen Depression Guide: Click on the links bellow for further sections of this Teen Depression Guide.
- Chapter 1: Teens and Depression Overview
- Chapter 2: Symptoms of Depression in Teenagers
- Chapter 3: Teen Depression Checklist
- Chapter 4: Reasons for Depression in Teenagers
- Chapter 5: Warning Signs of Depression in Teenagers
- Chapter 6: Teenage Depression Treatment Options
- Chapter 7: Teen Depression Behavioral Therapy and Counseling
- Chapter 8: Home Remedies for Treatment of Teen Depression
- Chapter 9: Support for Depression and Preventing Teen Depression
- Chapter 10: Therapeutic Activities for Teenagers
- Chapter 11: Inspirational Quotes for Teenagers