Providing support for depression in teenagers
Some steps to take to support a teen with clinical depression:
- stick to the teen depression treatment plan.
- ensure that all appointments with mental health care providers, school counselors and any other appointments required in the treatment plan are kept.
- make sure that anti-depressants are taken by the teen if the teen is prescribed with some.
- educate the teen on depression, symptoms of depression and prevention steps.
- encourage communication with the teen as part of a valued member of the family.
- be gentle and persistent in encouraging the teen to open up and validate feelings.
- avoid the blame game.
- pay attention to the warning signs of depression in teenagers.
- encourage the teen to adopt healthy habits and to use some stress management techniques.
Preventing teen depression
There is no definite way to prevent depression in a teenager. Some strategies may help:
- use stress management techniques to lower stress.
- boost self-esteem by participating in cognitive behavior therapy or continue with counseling, if necessary.
- have a social support network which includes close friends.
- participate in social and physical activities and youth programs.
- get treatment at the earliest sign of experiencing symptoms of depression.
Teen Depression Guide: Click on the links bellow for further sections of this Teen Depression Guide.
- Chapter 1: Teens and Depression Overview
- Chapter 2: Symptoms of Depression in Teenagers
- Chapter 3: Teen Depression Checklist
- Chapter 4: Reasons for Depression in Teenagers
- Chapter 5: Warning Signs of Depression in Teenagers
- Chapter 6: Teenage Depression Treatment Options
- Chapter 7: Teen Depression Behavioral Therapy and Counseling
- Chapter 8: Home Remedies for Treatment of Teen Depression
- Chapter 9: Support for Depression and Preventing Teen Depression
- Chapter 10: Therapeutic Activities for Teenagers
- Chapter 11: Inspirational Quotes for Teenagers