Main Idea Role Play Activity – High School and College Levels
Main aim: Identify and critically analyze the main idea of a story or text in the form of a role play within a working environment. Specially for high school and college students.
Name: Main Idea Role Play Actvity
Type: Main idea activities
Participants: Small groups of 4-5 participants per group
Duration: 30 minutes
Preparation: Selected text for main idea identification and analysis should have been read before role play
Materials: Pen and paper
- Discuss briefly the text with the students to refresh memory especially if the text was read sometime ago.
- Identify and select one main character from the text for each group.
- Each group must decide on the following:
- the individual student within the group that will play the part of the selected character.
- the props or items most used or considered most important by that selected character. The number of props or items must match the number of remaining students in the group.
For the main idea role play, the student playing the part of the main character must choose one particular prop or item from the selected props/items to take with him or her. Here, the scenario may be varied. For example, the scenario could be a situation where the character was stranded on a dessert island or where he or she was forced to travel with only one prop/item allowed.
The students with the props or items must then exchange dialogue with the main character in order to convince the latter that their prop or item should be chosen for the journey. Each student must only use arguments, ask questions and provide answers that reflect the story of the text.
The student playing the part of the main character must make a final decision on the prop/item which best expresses the main character’s personality in the text.