Last updated on February 13th, 2019 at 12:43 pm
Choosing a driving school – driving license minimum age laws
Before selecting a driving school, you should note the minimum age law requirements for a driving license. Minimum age law requirements apply in all states. For example:
- In the US, minimum age is between 14 and 16 years old depending on the state.
- In Australia, minimum age for a driving license is between 15 3/4 and 18.
- In UK, it is 17 unless special circumstances apply in which case, 16 is the minimum age for a driving license.
- In Europe, minimum age is generally 17 or 18.
- The minimum age requirement for Asian countries including China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, India and the rest of Asia is typically 18 years old (with a lower age for motorbike license in some countries).
How to get a driving license for a teenager
Driver education courses and behind-the-wheels driver training are typically required and are usually provided by a high school or a private driving school that has been accredited or licensed by the relevant authority.
The form of driver education courses and driver training is generally as follows:
- classroom instructions or equivalent online instructions or training program;
- behind the wheel driver training; and
- supervised driving practice including night time practice.
Recommendations for selecting a driving school
- Make sure that the driving school is licensed or accredited. In most cases, an online database kept by the relevant authority (e.g. Department of Motor Vehicles in the US or Road Transport Authority in Australia) will contain a directory of licensed driving schools.
- Make sure that the driving instructor is licensed. Such information may be obtained from the relevant authority or by calling them.
- Driving school operators and instructors must be professional and courteous and should emphasize safety and integrity.
- Physical contact with the teenager should be avoided by the driving instructor except in cases of emergency.
- Company quotes from driving schools and confirm that all expenses have been quoted.
- Retain copies of all receipts and contracts.
- Request for another driving instructor from the driving school if the instructor is not adequate or to your liking.
- Read all contracts, documents and information supplied by the driving instructor and keep a copy of the same.