Last updated on February 13th, 2019 at 12:53 pm
Best cars for teenagers and young drivers by make and model for 2013
The same reviewers listed their top preferences of cars for teens and young drivers. Apart from those websites, we also compiled a list of best cars from other well-known review sites including Edmunds.com and AAA.com.
Except for one, the picks are all included in the list of recommendations of best cars for teenagers published by Consumer Reports, an independent, non-profit organization.
2013 best cars for teenagers
1. Hyundai Sonata 2011 -2013 (4-cyl): this make and model made it in 6 of the eight lists for best cars for teenagers reviewed.
2. Ford Fusion 2012 (4-cyl): this make and model also made it in 6 of the eight lists reviewed.
3. Toyota Camry 2009-2012: the Camry was one of the popular cars voted as appropriate for teenagers. The 2009 and 2012 models were mentioned in most lists.
4. Honda Accord 2009-2012: similar to the Camry mentions, the lists that gave a thumbs up to the Camry also gave a vote of approval for the Honda Accord.
5. The rest of the recommendations by the review sites were somewhat varied with the following cars approved in at least two out of the eight lists:
- Volkswagen Jetta 2010 and 2012. Note Consumer Reports’ recommendations included only the Volkswagen Jetta 2007 – 2010.
- Chevrolet Malibu 2010 – 2013
- Volkswagen Golf 2012-2013
- Honda Fit 2012
- Honda Civic 2012
6. Finally, these others made it to one of the lists for best cars for teenagers (only the ones on the Consumer Reports’ list are included):
- Kia Forte 2010-2013
- Subaru Impreza 2012
- Toyota Matrix 2010-2012
It is interesting to note that AutoGuide.com and WSJ’s recommendations also included the newer SUVs such as the Subaru Forester, Kia Sportage and Scion xB, all of which are on Consumer Reports’ list of best cars for teenagers. Aesthetics-wise, a teen would probably not want the last one!
Consumer Reports’ list of best cars for teenagers
- Chevrolet Malibu (4-cyl., 2008 or later)
- Ford Focus sedan (2009 or later)
- Ford Fusion (4-cyl., 2010 or later)
- Honda Accord (4-cyl., 2008 or later)
- Hyundai Elantra SE
- Hyundai Elantra Touring
- Hyundai Sonata (4-cyl., 2006 or later)
- Hyundai Sonata (non-turbo, non-hybrid, 2011 or later)
- Hyundai Tucson (2010 or later)
- Kia Forte (2010 or later)
- Kia Optima (non-turbo, 2010 or later)
- Kia Soul
- Kia Sportage (4-cyl., non-turbo, 2011 or later)
- Mazda3 i Touring (2009 or later)
- Mazda3 s Grand Touring (2007 or later)
- Mazda6 i (4-cyl., 2009 or later)
- Nissan Altima (4-cyl., 2010 or later)
- Nissan Sentra (2010 or later)
- Scion xB (2008 or later)
- Subaru Forester (non-turbo, 2009 or later)
- Subaru Impreza (non-turbo, 2009 or later)
- Subaru Impreza Outback Sport (2008 or later)
- Subaru Legacy 2.5i (2009 or later)
- Toyota Camry (2010 or later)
- Toyota Corolla (2010 or later)
- Toyota Prius (2010 or later)
- Toyota Matrix (2010 or later)
- Toyota Prius V
- Toyota RAV4 (2004 or later, non-3rd row)
- Volkswagen Jetta (2007 or later)
- Volkswagen Golf (2010 or later)
- Volkswagen Rabbit
The additional review sites surveyed for this article included:
- Edmunds.com, The Best Cars for Teen Driver, https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/the-best-cars-for-teen-drivers.html
- Autobytel, 10 Best Cars for Teenagers, https://www.autobytel.com/car-buying-guides/features/10-best-cars-for-teenagers-112526/2/
- AAA.com, Top Teen Cars Rank High in Safety, https://newsroom.aaa.com/2012/06/top-teen-cars-rank-high-in-safety-according-to-aaa/
- Foxbusiness, Bankrate’s 7 Best Cars for Teenagers, https://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2013/03/05/bankrate-7-best-cars-for-teenagers/